VERY DIFFICULT TO INSTALL AND CONFIGURE

Install and configure FormaLMS and DoceboCE
franco

VERY DIFFICULT TO INSTALL AND CONFIGURE

Post by franco »

Hello,
i do not know the reason why it is so difficult for almost everybody to install and configure this formalms. i have been on it for the past 5 days now trying to install and configure the software but all i could get is error upon error. i have tried different methods to get it done but the problem still persist.

i think something should be done on it because i am tired of all these.

please someone should help.
alfa24
Senior Boarder

Re: VERY DIFFICULT TO INSTALL AND CONFIGURE

Post by alfa24 »

Forma has been installed thousands of times without problems.
If you have difficulties due to your environment or your competences, please don't extend them to "almost everybody".
Per supporto GRATUITO contattatemi in privato qui
franco

Post by franco »

Hello,
This is not the matter of incompetency, the installation and configure process is not well detailed.
where to place the config.php file downloaded is not actually explained.
i was asked to used php version 7.0 that php version 7.3 is not supported but i finally used php7.3.8 and now working.

i think there should be improvement in some reply given.

in a nul shell, i have installed and configure it properly without error.

thanks
hakangur
FormaLms User
Version: forma.lms 2.0

Post by hakangur »

I agree entirely with franco. As I have already mentioned in several posts in this forum, installation procedure needs to be clarified and where to upload the config file is one of the issues. There is no information about requirements (PHP version, required PHP plugins, etc.) on the download page for the free version.

In addition, just as franco might be exaggerating by saying "almost everybody" (there is no way of knowing this for sure), alfa24 might also be making an exaggeration by saying "thousands of times without problems" ("thousands" is a very relative figure and we will never know whether these installations went smoothly or not). Many others may have solved their problem(s) on their own and refrained from sharing their experience here.
alfa24
Senior Boarder

Post by alfa24 »

Sorry, I meant some Millions.
Hire a lamp system administrator instead of experimenting.
Per supporto GRATUITO contattatemi in privato qui
samela

Post by samela »

Newbie here,
but a couple of quick thoughts came to me reading this posting...
1. people commenting on problems / errors should define these in their first posting if wanting advice
2. replies unhelpful seem unfortunate to me

Also, well commented hakangur

I hope I am not out of order with my comment.
alberto
FormaLms Guru

Post by alberto »

hakangur wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 pm I agree entirely with franco. As I have already mentioned in several posts in this forum, installation procedure needs to be clarified and where to upload the config file is one of the issues.
Ok, we just added a note to the install procedure, step 4: https://docs.formalms.org/reference-gui ... ade-2.html
hakangur wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 pm There is no information about requirements (PHP version, required PHP plugins, etc.) on the download page for the free version.
Requirements are described in the official documentation: https://docs.formalms.org/reference-gui ... ments.html
alberto
FormaLms Guru

Post by alberto »

franco wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:43 pm
i was asked to used php version 7.0 that php version 7.3 is not supported but i finally used php7.3.8 and now working.
PHP versions higher than 7.0 are not fully supported, you might encounter issue in some points of the application
compie67

Post by compie67 »

it is now 2021, my webserver runs on php 8.0 and this wil not work for Forma
scubatricky
FormaLms User

Post by scubatricky »

compie67 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:33 am it is now 2021, my webserver runs on php 8.0 and this wil not work for Forma
Agreed, and if you wish to help port Forma across to PHP 8.0 to make use of JIT then please volunteer!

I'm working to rebuild Forma via Laravel, in order that we get a robust framework and futureproof it to some extent. This may take up to a year as I need to continue my day job to pay my mortgage... :lol: